Department of Art, Design, and Art History
Graduate Admission and Requirements
Requirements and Criteria
The Master of Arts in Art degree program assumes preparation equivalent to the undergraduate major (B.A. in Art) at California State University, Fresno. Students with a non-art undergraduate degree must meet the Art Major Undergraduate Equivalency to be considered for admission to the M.A. in Art program. At this time, applications for graduate study are being accepted in the areas of Studio Art and Art History. New applicants for Art Education and Interior Design are not being accepted.
Please follow these steps:
- You must first go to Cal State Apply to begin the application process.
- IMPORTANT: Your application will not be considered complete until you have submitted additional material in the form of a Portfolio to the Department of Art and Design, Attention Graduate Coordinator. Please follow this link (/artanddesign/documents/MA%20in%20Art%20Admissions%20Requirements.pdf ) for further instructions all materials requested in this document must be submitted for your application to be deemed complete. The above link will take you to the MA in Art Admissions & Portfolio Requirements Page. Portfolios must be received by the Graduate Coordinator no later than TWO WEEKS after the deadline for Admissions to the University for Graduate Studies, i.e., if the deadline for the University for Graduate Studies is April 1st, then your materials must be received by the Graduate Coordinator in the Department of Art and Design no later than April 15.
- Read the updated Art and Design Graduate Guide 2020-21 for details on program admission decisions, program requirements, steps, and limitations.
- Domestic Admissions Criteria
Additional Information and Graduate Forms
Go here for all graduate forms, including The Graduate Guide (the M.A. in Art Handbook), undergraduate equivalencies, program descriptions, requirements, and steps.
- College of Arts and Humanities
- Class Schedule
- Madden Library
- Help Desk
- Four Year Degree Roadmap
Office: Conley Art 217
Apply at Cal State Apply