Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Department of Communication

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Department's phone number?

(559) 278-2826

What is the Department's fax number?

(559) 278-4113

What is the Department's mailing address?

California State University, Fresno
Department of Communication
5201 North Maple Ave, Mail Stop SA 46
Fresno, CA  93740-8027

Where is the Department located?

The main office is located in the Speech Arts building Room 15.  There are two entrances convenient to the Department; one in the northeast corner of the Speech arts building near the rose garden and another on the east side of the Speech Arts building facing Joyal Administration.  Most faculty offices are housed in the Speech Arts building, however, some faculty are located in Science II, Lab School, and the Industrial Technology buildings.

What is my Professor's phone number/office/e-mail address?

This information is available in the faculty section of this website.

What are my Professor's office hours?

Contact your professor directly or call the department's main office for this information: 559.278.2826

What hours are the main office open?

The main office, which is in Speech Arts Room 15, is open M-F, 8am-12pm and 1pm-5pm. Note the office is closed from 12pm to 1pm for lunch. Summer Recess Hours are 7:30am-3:30pm

Whom do I contact regarding the undergraduate program?

Information, including contact information, is available in the undergraduate section of this website.

Whom do I contact regarding the graduate program?

This information is available in the graduate section of this website.

Whom do I contact regarding the Speech/English credential program?

Information, including who to contact, is in the credential program section of this website.

How do I test out of a lower division Communication course? (Credit by Examination)?

Testing out of a lower division course, also called "Credit by Examination," is governed by formal policy. A copy of the policy and the forms needed to test out of a course are located here as an Adobe pdf file. Please review the information closely. You must apply both to the Records office and to the Department. Your application should be returned to:

Kevin J. Macy-Ayotte, Chair
California State University, Fresno
Department of Communication
5201 North Maple Ave, Mail Stop SA46
Fresno, CA  93740-8027

You will be required to take both a written examination on material covered in the course and deliver an oral presentation. There are stringent time requirements and other important elements to this policy. 

How do I get a permission number to add a class?

Permission numbers are available only from the faculty member assigned to that course. Go to the first meeting of your class to inquire about remaining seats, or contact the assigned faculty member directly for a permission number. 

I'm thinking about changing my major to Communication (or declaring a minor!). What do I do?

Obtain a Change of Major Form online or from Joyal Administration.  Contact our undergraduate advisor, Dr. Devendra Sharma, for entrance advising and to complete the paperwork to formalize changing your major or adding a minor in COMM.

I need a DPR report.  How do I get one?

You may obtain a DPR report from MyFresnoState (the same place you register for classes).

Does the Department offer any scholarships? 

Scholarship information is available at this link.