Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Department of English

MFA Financial Information

For current costs of standard Tuition and Campus Fees at Fresno State, see the Accounting Services fee schedule page. Tuition and fees are subject to change each semester.

Funding Opportunities

Creative Writing students can apply for a wide range of local, state, and federal financial assistance. These include scholarships, grants, loan programs, and more. Funding and job opportunities are competitive.

All decisions made by the Creative Writing faculty on student awards and funding are made collaboratively and are based on an evaluation of the quality of creative work and on programmatic needs.

Visit our Department of English's student funding page for full information about scholarship and financial aid opportunities. Pay closest attention to financial aid from the Division of Research and Graduate Studies (DRGS).

In addition to what's listed on the department funding page, we offer up to three nonresident fee waivers to qualified incoming students for their first year of study.

We also offer ongoing Instructionally Related Activities (IRA) funding for select students to attend and participate in national writing conferences. Travel grants are also available.

Recruitment for Teaching Associate positions (TAships) in the department takes place each spring semester for positions beginning in the fall. (Please note that recruitment for AY 2021-22 is now closed.) Most TAs teach in the first-year writing program, and several teach beginning creative writing classes each semester.

Up to three positions will be awarded each fall for MFA Writing and Research Scholars in the Graduate Student Success Center at $15/hr, for a minimum of 12 and a maximum of 20 hours per week. Scholars will be working with Fresno State graduate students on class assignments as well as projects and theses. Scholars will receive training on consulting practice as it pertains to the center's philosophy while also gaining teaching and public presentation experience by actively facilitating workshops and/or colloquia focused on thesis preparation and research. Contact the center's coordinator, Charles Radke, for information. (Email)

Recruitment for Writing Consultant positions in the campus Graduate Student Success Center takes place each semester. Tutors consult on graduate student projects, thesis manuscripts, or papers for publication. Contact the center's coordinator, Charles Radke, to apply. (Email)

Recruitment for Tutor positions in the campus Writing Center takes place each semester. Tutors work as facilitators in small writing groups, in one-on-one tutoring, and in online tutoring.

The program awards up to three Student Assistant positions each year. The SAs work as editorial interns for The Normal School literary magazine, and they support the administrative staff in the program office.

The program awards up to three Student Assistant positions each fall to assist faculty in running our annual book contest, the Philip Levine Prize for Poetry.

The program, together with the English Department and the Academy of American Poets, sponsors annual Creative Writing Prizes each spring for writers in all genres.

California Residency

The Admissions Office determines the residency status of all new and returning students for purposes of tuition. Out-of-state, nonresident, and international students must pay an additional Non-Resident Tuition Fee of $372 per unit, in addition to the standard Tuition Fee and Campus Fees. The fees are subject to change each semester.

Because each student's residency status can be different and complex, students should contact the Graduate Admissions Office at 559.278.4073 for individual consultation. The technicians are Amanda Eberlein (last names A-L) and Hortencia Iribe (last names M-Z).

Find out more about residency requirements students must meet:

Generally, establishing California residency for tuition purposes requires a combination of physical presence and intent to remain indefinitely.

An adult who, at least 366 days prior to the residency determination date for the term in which enrollment is contemplated, can demonstrate both physical presence in the state combined with evidence of intent to remain in California indefinitely may establish California residency for tuition purposes.

A minor normally derives residency from the parent(s) they reside with or most recently resided with.

Evidence demonstrating intent may vary from case to case but will include, and is not limited to:

• the absence of residential ties to any other state;

• California voter registration and voting in California elections;

• maintaining California vehicle registration and driver's license;

• maintaining active California bank accounts;

• filing California income tax returns and listing a California address on federal tax returns;

• owning residential property or occupying or renting a residence where permanent belongings are kept;

• maintaining active memberships in California professional or social organizations; and

• maintaining a permanent military address and home of record in California.

Nonresident students seeking reclassification are required to complete a supplemental questionnaire that includes questions concerning their financial independence.

Financial independence is required, in addition to physical presence and intent, to be eligible for reclassification.

Financial independence is established if, in the calendar year the reclassification application is made and in any of the 3 consecutive calendar years preceding the reclassification application, the student:

• has not and will not be claimed as an exemption for state and federal tax purposes by his/her parent;

• has not and will not receive more than $750 per year in financial assistance from his/her parent; and

• has not lived and will not live longer than 6 weeks in the home of his/her parent.

Fresno State catalog
(Scroll down to Determination of Residency for Tuition Purposes)

Admissions Office website