The Ethics Center
Ethical Leadership Award and Celebration
A combined project of the Fresno State Ethics Center and the Lyles Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Goal: To inspire a passion for stewardship and ethical leadership in Fresno State students
- The awardee should have substantial accomplishments of excellence in ethical leadership, stewardship, entrepreneurial innovation, and community engagement. But the awardee need not be at the end of his/her career.
- The awardee should have some tangible connection with Fresno, Fresno State, and the Central Valley, and the experience of diverse students at Fresno State. But the awardee need not be a Fresno State Alum or a resident of the Central Valley.
- The awardee should have a demonstrated ability to communicate a vision of ethics, leadership, and stewardship and be able to inspire our diverse students in concrete ways.
- 2017: Richard Johanson, Chairman emeritus of the Fresno Business Council and Founder of Johanson Transportation
- 2018: Jim Boren, former editor of the Fresno Bee and journalism professor at Fresno State
- 2019: Luis Santana, Founding Director of Reading and Beyond, a non-profit dedicated to serving children and families
- 2020: Nikiko Masumoto, Farmer, Artist, and Cultural Organizer
- 2021: Ashley Swearengin, CEO of Central Valley Community Foundation
To make a nomination (or self-nomination) follow this link:
Nomination deadline: June 1, 2022
Celebration of Ethical Leadership is presented by the Ethics Center in partnership with Lyles Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, and Better Business Bureau® Serving Central California & Inland Empire Counties.
Ethical Leadership 2021 Award Recipient | Ashley Swearengin, CEO of Central Valley Community Foundation
Ethical Leadership 2020 Award Recipient | Nikiko Masumoto, Farmer, Artist, Cultural Organizer, Masumoto Family Farm
Ethical Leadership 2019 Award Recipient | Luis Santana, Executive Director of Reading and Beyond
Ethical Leadership 2018 Award Recipient | Jim Boren, Journalist and Former Editor, The Fresno Bee
Ethical Leadership 2017 Award Recipient | Richard Johnson, Founder of Johnson Transportation Service, LLC.