Department of Music
1) Completed a four-year college course of study and hold an acceptable baccalaureate degree from an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association, or shall have completed equivalent academic preparation as determined by appropriate campus authorities; 2) be in good academic standing at the last college or university attended; 3) have earned a grade point average of at least 2.5 on the last degree completed or have attained a grade point average of at least a 2.5 (A=4.0) in the last 60 semester (90 quarter units attempted; and 4) satisfactorily meet the professional, personal, scholastic, and other standards for graduate study, including qualifying examinations, as appropriate campus authorities may prescribe. In unusual circumstances, a campus may make exceptions to these criteria. *
*These and other CSU admissions requirements are subject to change as policies are revised and laws are amended. The CSU website www.calstate.edu and the CSU admissions portal www.calstate.edu/apply are good sources for the most up-to-date information.
Music Department Requirements
The following criteria is specific to the Department of Music and published in the 2019-2020 Fresno State Catalog: https://www.fresnostate.edu/catalog/subjects/music/mu-perf-ma.html - requirements
A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 is required. Applicants with a GPA between 2.75 and 2.99 may be considered, however, for these applicants the GRE General Test is required.
- A bachelor's degree in music (or the equivalent) is required. Applicants must have their official transcript(s) sent directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Applicants in choral conducting. instrumental conducting. instrumental performance, and vocal performance must arrange an audition with the appropriate faculty member (see Audition Requirements in the next section).
- Applicants in the areas of composition and music education must arrange an interview with the appropriate faculty member (see Interview Requirements in the next section).
- Three current letters of recommendation must be sent directly to the Graduate Program Coordinator (pdf preferred). At least two letters must be from former music teachers, professors, or other musicians with firsthand knowledge of the applicant's musical and academic abilities or experiences.
- Applicants must submit a Personal Statement that addresses the reasons(s) for pursuing graduate study at Fresno State, along with a detailed explanation of the applicant's personal and professional goals.
- A writing sample (equivalent to an undergraduate term paper) must be submitted directly to the Graduate Program Coordinator.
- Music Education Option applicants must hold a valid California Credential to teach music or complete the California Basic Skills Test (CBEST) and subject matter proficiency, as defined by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CSET or approved subject matter program).
International applicants must achieve a minimum TOEFL score of 550 to gain entrance into the program.