Media, Communications and Journalism
PRSA Mentorship Program
Overview: Fresno State's Media, Communications and Journalism Department (MCJ) -- in partnership with the Central California Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) -- launched a joint mentorship program for students in the public relations and advertising options. This program began as a pilot for the Fall 2020 - Spring 2021 academic year. Program participants met virtually monthly and gathered in May 2021 for a virtual networking event to share stories, ideas for ways to improve the program, etc.
- Provide professional development opportunities for MCJ-AD/PR students.
- Help students establish relationships with professionals outside of the university.
- Facilitate students’ transition into the professional community.
- Engage Fresno State alumni and friends in a meaningful way for the benefit of students.
Who is eligible?
- Students majoring in Fresno State MCJ-AD/PR (new catalog) or MCJ-AD (old catalog) or MCJ-PR (old catalog).
- Current PRSA members.
Expectations of mentors: Mentors will meet with their mentees virtually once per month. At these meetings, the mentor will provide support, ideas and advice to their mentee. Click here for more details re: mentor expectations.
Expectations of mentees: Mentees will touch base either via phone, email or text (depending on mentor preference) with their mentors at least once in-between virtual meetings to share progress, ask questions, etc. Click here for more details re: mentee expectations.
How do mentors (pros) apply? Click https://forms.gle/Kx6PiGCT3BHGX5WM7
How do mentees (students) apply? Click https://forms.gle/Eoem7D8Wg2mzXvEYA
When is the application deadline? TBA
How are they matched? The PRSA/MCJ Mentoring Committee will do the matching based on preferences given in the applications.
Periodic check-ins/evaluations: MCJ will check-in with both mentors and mentees twice per semester to make sure all is well on both sides. Each participant will evaluate the program at the end of the year.