Middle East Studies Program
Plan of Operation to Establish a Persian and Arabic Language Curriculum and Develop a Minor in Middle East Studies
Timeline Plan of Activities
- Develop Persian 1A and Arabic 1A.
- Language courses will be planned for the evening to allow listing with the Division of Continuing and Global Education.
- Recruitment of students for the language courses will take place in collaboration with University Outreach, the Persian and Arabic Instructors, and community partners.
Fall Semester 2007
- Offering Beginning Persian 1A and Beginning Arabic 1A.
- Submission of proposals for first year Persian and Arabic for approval to the campus curricular process.
- Recruitment of Students for the Study Abroad Program.
- Workshop for Faculty Participants on Program Development and Assessment.
Spring Semester 2008
- Offering Beginning Persian 1B and Beginning Arabic 1B.
- Offering one existing course for the minor: Political Economy of the Middle East.
Developing 4 additional courses for the minor; courses will be selected from the following:
- An Introduction to the Middle East: Language, Culture, and Politics.
- Islamic Art and Architecture.
- Philosophy 165T: Islam.
- Middle Eastern Film Criticism or Middle Eastern News Analysis.
- Workshop for faculty participants on program development and assessment.
- Development of the Study Abroad opportunities and student recruitment.
- Students attend Study Abroad Program.
- Develop four courses for the minor.
- Develop second year language courses: Persian 2A-B and Arabic 2A-B.
- Recruitment of students for the language program and minor.
- Offering Intermediate Persian 2A & 1A and Arabic 2A & 1A.
- Submit proposal for approval of the minor.
- Offering courses for the minor.
- Recruit students for the Study Abroad.
- Offering Persian 2B & 1B and Arabic 2B & 1B.
- Assessment of Language Program.
- Assessment of Minor & Project.
- Middle Eastern Lecture and Film Series.
- The College of Arts and Humanities
- Department of Linguistics
- Continuing and Global Education
- American English Institute